Monday, June 15, 2009

Alaska by Motorcycle




“North to Alaska-Go North the Rush is on”! This old Johnny Horton Hit Song will soon be a reality for Bruce and me-only, there is no rush. Bruce, my good friend for 34 years is like MLK-“I have a Dream!” It was to tour Alaska by motorcycle and is number one on his “bucket list”. When he approached me with the idea, I was somewhat hesitant. Alaska and the Yukon are about 12 to14,000 butt pounding miles from Quakertown. But, as Socrates said, “The unexamined life is not worth living”-I’m in!
Bruce and I are compatible riders-we have done trips to Canada, Blue Ridge Parkway, etc. and we both get 72 miles to a cup of coffee. We also ride BMW Motorcycles-adventure touring models that are historically dependable. However, I am taking my bike’s title along-just in case…. We pack tents and sleeping bags which give us a lot of freedom and eliminate the necessity of having to find a motel. You can camp almost anywhere in the national forests. Concerning camping in the wild- I am taking extra precautions. I am packing a jar of homey to pour on Bruce’s tent-but only in bear country. I hope carnivore’s sense that he is much younger and more tender than I am.
We always put signs on the back of our bikes when we take a trip. The last trip sign was – Semi-Wild Hogs. For this one I made a sign for my bike-ALASKA or BUST. I made one for Bruce- I’ll TAKE a BUST.
One other fun item that is making the trip is Alex the monkey. I’m taking him for my grandchildren with the intention of me sending back pictures of Alex in different places-totem poles, camping, etc. It is like the teddy bear the guy takes from his briefcase on TV. We have a lot of fun!
I will be making periodic postings from my cell phone to my blog-so please check on our progress and adventures. Just Google “thrushtails” or bookmark thrushtails.blogspot.com , or place a shortcut on your desktop. (that last phrase sounds like a country song) Keep in touch and “Happy Trails to All”!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home