Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Could thngs get worse?-BMW -Alberta





























We spent the night in our "blacktop suite"- I don't know why our freebie camps are always next to a train. The next day we checked to see if our much needed parts had come in. BAD NEWS! The seal came but the valuable universal joint and shaft were back ordered-16 days-I'm stuck!
What are my options? I could sell the bike and fly home or I could wait a week or two or I could buy a new bike-they had loads of them in stock. More bad news-Canadian BMW Bikes can't be brought into the states, nor can many makes.
We took the damaged part to a commercial bearing and universal joint company. They jury-rigged it to get me at least 1000 miles-maybe. Back to the dealership-had the part installed-and we were on our way. We were determined to not stop riding until we reached the US in Montana-at least I can buy a bike there. At the border crossing around midnight, the guards were quite serious. Bruce went first, then they motioned me to come forward. After they gave me the 3rd degree (maybe 2 nd) they said I could pass. I asked them where I could buy gasoline and they said they had given all that info to my partner. I said, He is not my partner-just my riding buddy. They cracked up!
Things get worse! At two in the morning, my bike stops in the middle of nowhere-along a four lane highway (15) south of the border. We have no choice-we sleep in the grassy ditch along the road. We didn't even pitch a tent. Check or my "partner's veil". As dawn broke a pick up truck pulled alongside by bike with three guys inside. They said they stopped to see the wreck. They saw one bike in the ditch and stuff scattered arouns-so we must have wrecked.



This morning we charged the battery using Bruce's Bike.and limped into Conrad Montana. We are camping awaiting parts for the alternator and a new universal shaft (the one I had repaired is vibrating like........)

3 Comments:

At July 23, 2009 at 8:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you need to be stranded, there is no better place than Conrad MT! We enjoyed your company last night at the Moose.

 
At July 23, 2009 at 9:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That makes two of us. You both made a night in Conrad to remember. Hopefully you didn't get into to much trouble when you arrived back at camp with Marge.... :)

 
At July 23, 2009 at 1:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only you two could get kudos from anonymice, plural for anonymous...what memories! love, sis

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home