Thursday, July 30, 2009

Beat Up-Pa. to Alaska





























Not me- my BMW R100GS. I though the bike should have held up better than it did. I bought it new in 1992 and it had 26,000 miles before starting the trip.
I replaced the drive shaft and the seal, plus the alternator. Both front shocks have blown their seals spraying oil on the engine. The front fender vibrated three of the four bolts free- I am lucky to have seen the flopping fender. Both saddle bags are destroyed and my tires are bald.
Bruce's R1200GS needing nothing and ran flawless. It was really loaded as he had an entire workshop in the saddlebags-air compressor, tools,electrical testing equipment, jumper cables battery charger plus two tires on top and a breathing machine with a 100 foot extension cord.
Looks like I will be spending some money at Hermey's BMW. I will also be on the market for a newer bike.
Bottom line- bikes are expendable-especially for memories. My best friend Dave died from cancer a few years ago. At his memorial service a card was given to everyone. It reads: Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, breathless, thoroughly used up, totally worn our and loudy proclaiming, WOW_WHAT A RIDE! ( I wrote a book about my friend Dave-you can read a portion of it in this blog-see "Book of David"- it is at the beginning-the second posting)
That's my philosophy-when I finally reach the rest home, I can say with no regrets, "It's good to sit a spell"!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home